Don’t appoint a square peg in a round hole
Using an appropriate method of selecting employees is particularly important, considering the devastating (and often unaccounted for) costs of hiring and replacing the wrong employee.
The right employee has the skills to perform the work, but also fits in with the behavioural requirements of the role, and with the company culture, and can maintain professional relationships with colleagues. Their overall profile of knowledge, skills, abilities, and personal dispositions should match the job immediately upon entry and going forward.
Our approach normally consists of psychometric assessment processes such as cognitive tests, personality questionnaires, integrity questionnaires, and simulation exercises.
- Psychometric and competency assessments provide standardised perspectives on the individual.
- It is a reliable and valid measure of a person’s potential and attributes.
- It predicts job performance and development potential more accurately than any other method of evaluation.
- Psychometric assessments are objective and are thus more likely to be more equitable than subjective methods.
- Succession planning and organisational structuring
- Personal growth and career development
- Identification and development of potential and talent
- Highlighting prevailing team dynamics and how to manage it
Using an inappropriate assessment tool also creates noise and confusion around the process and, especially when selecting people for a job, it opens you up to some very real legal liability (unfair discrimination as per the Employment Equity Act, Section 8).
Camino Consulting have registered Psychologists and Psychometrists and we make use of assessments that have met stringent scientific design criteria and have been classified by the Health Professions Council of South Africa. These can also be combined with other scientifically proven methods of selecting the right candidates.
Successful candidates are frequently provided with individual feedback after having started in their new role and can be provided with a tailored development report. This immediately puts the new hire on a customised development path. The process may also be supplemented with additional individual coaching going forward.
The information from the assessment helps our clients to determine whether or not a person is likely to meet performance expectations and fit in with the company and role. Considering the trade-off between risks and costs, many of our clients insist on making psychometric testing a company-wide policy. Psychometric testing (and developmental coaching, for that matter) is appropriate for positions ranging from non-managerial positions, all the way to top management.
Camino Consulting can also further assist with the entire selection process, including job profiling, recruitment, screening, and competency-based interview guidelines.